Minor gas discovery in the Barents Sea

8. august 2014

The partners in production licence 614 have made a minor gas discovery of between 1 billion and 2 billion cubic meters.

The wildcat well 7324/9-1 was drilled in the Mercury prospect in the Hoop Fault Complex/Mercurius High area in the Barents Sea, approximately  20 kilometres southeast of the Wisting and Hanssen oil discoveries, where Idemitsu holds a 20 % share.

This is the first exploration well in production licence 614, which was awarded in the 21st licencing round in 2011.

The data extensively collected through operation of the well will be precious data points for understanding of the regional geology and prospectivity of the license.

The license is operated by Statoil (60 %) and Idemitsu holds the remaining 40 % interest.

For more information, please read the press release from NDP here.